• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do we need a new ckcs club.........

Now, there are multiple choices (and most of them have COEs not tied to registration) so breeders can do as they please with few consequences.

Registration tied to the ethics code was key in 1993-1994. CKCSC,USA had it (and still does). AKC would not allow CKCSC,USA to have it as an AKC parent club. So, CKCSC,USA rejected AKC's overture as being bad for the breed. CKCSC,USA was right then and still is right. No AKC specialty clubs' ethics codes are enforceable against non-members, who still would be allowed to register their litters with AKC.

What an absolutely fascinating conversation this has turned into!! You all have enlightened me so much about things I wasn't aware of. I knew about "old club" and "new club" and knew about the differences, but have learned so much more from this conversation. How enlightening to havd you "oldies" (and I don't mean that in age ;) I mean that in experience) give us your thoughts and perspectives.

I absolutely love being a member of my regional Cavalier Club. I have learned so much, met so many wonderful people....and have so many more Cavalier experiences than I ever would have had without my club. Two of my very dearest friends I've met through my club. We have riveting speakers at every meeting. We discuss health testing, feeding, vaccinations, training....everything. And I have such wonderful resources to go to if I have an issue with my dog. I think I am lucky that our club is still relatively small. It's a very intimate group, I know everyone in my club and that makes it really special.

I've learned a lot from Rod and Pat. I find it very interesting to see many peoples points of view. We didn't agree- but we discussed a very controversial and painful period.

Cathy, I too really like the feeling of our local club -greater chicago club. We can get together, do seminars- help each other. It is a great support group, and informational group.

...Cathy, I too really like the feeling of our local club -greater chicago club. We can get together, do seminars- help each other. It is a great support group, and informational group.

Another good thing about regional clubs is that you can put on your own specialties and have decent judges, which makes them worth more than all breed shows.

We are having our 2nd Specialty coming up in February. I have learned so much by participating in putting on this show. I don't know diddly about showing ;) but sure do see what goes into putting on a show.

There are 4- 5 other 'registrations' in the USA that give you a piece of paper, no questions asked.

I overlooked this comment yesterday. Actually, Sandy, there are about 30 other dog registries, which I call "paper mills", which puppy millers and other commercial breeders use to "register" their "purebreds". None of them are non-profit organizations, like AKC is, and none of them use their income to serve the purebreds, their owners and breeders, and the dog community in general, like AKC does.

Some of these "registries" were created by the commercial breeders' groups themselves to fool the dog-buying public into thinking they were buying a dog "with papers" and a "pedigree". These paper mills are a major reason that AKC's registrations and income are dropping lower every month.

AKC has been trying to reverse this decline, every which way anybody can think of. A consequence of this drop in registration income is that AKC has had to raise fees on events. AKC does not want to cut back on its many valuable services to the canine community, but cuts are looming in the future if the constant decline is not halted, if not reversed.

Hi

Kate ,I phoned Mrs Rees on Friday she is putting application forms in the post to me ,so I will fill in and return with necessary fee and hopefull look forward to being a PROUD member of your club .
Thanks again

brian

Full litter registration became available recently but has been rarely utilized, like under 2% of all litter registrations. It started out as temporary test program a couple of years ago, and I encouraged David Roberts of AKC's registration department to not end it when its initial time ran out. The AKC board agreed with his recommendation to extend it.

Then, in June the AKC board agreed to offer this AKC Registration Pledge Challenge program, where parent clubs are to urge their members to, in turn, urge their puppy buyers to register their puppies. This is not what I proposed. I proposed that the parent clubs urge their breeder-members to register the puppies with the litters under the full registration program. AKC thought that was trying to go too far too quickly, so the pledge challenge program is a watered down compromise, like a first step towards combining litter and puppy registration as the usual way of doing business.

Full litter registration is a no-brainer for CKCSC,USA members, since all puppies are registered with their litters in the CKCSC,USA. But most AKC-only breeders, of all breeds, have viewed blue slips as the puppy buyers' responsibility. This has been so for decades. So, I suggested that the breeders be given a discount for registering the puppies and the litters at the same time.

Maybe, sometime, AKC will convince its parent clubs, and the parent clubs in turn will convince their members, to use full litter registration all the time. At least that option is still available, rather than AKC ending the full litter registration program after the end of its test period.

I realize that this is pretty much a dead thread now, but the press release below from AKC came out today, and it is relevant to what I was writing about here.

--------------------------------------

News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AKC(r) ANNOUNCES ENHANCEMENT TO FULL LITTER REGISTRATION PROCESS

New York, NY- The American Kennel Club(r) is pleased to announce the
enhancement of its Full Litter registration option which allows breeders
to register all puppies in a litter to themselves for a reduced fee. For
no additional fee, AKC will now allow breeders to assign the limited
designation to a dog after registration through the first transfer. The
dog must have been first registered through the Full Litter Registration
process. All breeders of the dog have to agree to add the limited
designation.

"By utilizing Full Litter Registration, breeders are not only getting
the best value for themselves, they are contributing to the long term
well being of the American Kennel Club by registering all the puppies in
their litter," said AKC Vice President of Registration David W. Roberts.
"In addition, new puppy owners will know they are bringing home an AKC
registered puppy."

Breeders can also request limited registration when the initial
application for registration is submitted. As an additional enhancement
these new transfers will receive a complimentary 60-day trial of the AKC
Pet Healthcare Plan if not previously activated for the dog. The trial
plan offers coverage for unexpected accidents or illnesses up to $1,500
($500 per incident).

Breeders who register a litter using Full Litter Registration between
now and December 31, 2009, will also receive a special $20 pedigree
discount coupon to apply towards their next purchase of an AKC-Certified
pedigree. The coupon will be sent to breeders after the completion of
their Full Litter Registration.

AKC first implemented the Full Litter Registration option in 2006 at the
request of AKC breeders who wanted the option to register a litter and
all its puppies in one easy step. This benefits breeders by eliminating
the individual litter puppy fee, reducing puppy registration fees and
providing discounted pedigrees for each puppy in the litter. Full Litter
Registration also offers breeders a 35% percent discount on registration
fees (based on litter of five puppies); a streamlined process to
complete the entire registration; and the ability to select each puppy's
name, ensuring kennel names are used correctly.

The Full Litter Application and the Application to Designate Limited
Status can be found at the following links:
* AKC Full Litter Registration Application:
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/Full_Litter_Registration_Application.pdf
* Application to Designate Limited Status:
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/AXL001.pdf

For more information please contact AKC Customer Service at [email protected]
or 919-233-9767.

---------------------------------

Back