• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi!

ESALove

Hello,
I'm Rachael. I'm here because of the love for Cavaliers I've had since before I ever owned one. When I young, I came across the breed and knew in my heart that I would one day have one. September 2023 rolled around and I got my ruby boy Tommy Pickles! What a sweet joy he is. I already want another, but that will have to wait!
He's lived up quite nicely to the general breed characteristics as far as his personality goes. Of course, he's a puppy so we're working on some things, but he is quick to catch on with most things. With others, well, sometimes he will look at me like I have three heads...or he will listen to commands he know and ignore them. He's 9 months and is my first puppy. I'm so glad that my first puppy is him though.

I've come to share my love of this breed and hopefully get some helpful guidance from others who have more experience with them (or dogs in general). I grew up with cats. When I was able to move out into my own space, I eventually got two cats. Then I decided it was time for the puppy I always wanted. The cats reactions to him have been...interesting...to say the least lol. However, he has not shown aggression toward them at all. He just always wants to play with them and can't understand why they don't want to play back. One cat is more curious about him while the other is just learning to barely tolerate him. I'm sure it will take time, but I've seen pictures of cats and cavaliers cuddled up together and that's what I dream for with mine.

Here are pictures of my pets for your enjoyment:
IMG_3434.JPEGIMG_3437.JPEGIMG_3381.jpeg

Thanks for reading and I'll see you around the forums!

HI and welcome -- what a lovely set of four-legged family photos. One of the reasons I originally opted for a cavalier 20 years ago was because of the breed temperament and the fact that they were supposed to be a good fit for cats and I had several cats. And they've always been a good fit! Introductions and early encounters need watchful management just as you've done. But I bet soon the cats will be curling up with Tommy Pickles :). Some cats and dogs can be more aloof, but I had my first cavalier at the same time that I'd added a kitten of similar age and they used to tear around the house playing with each other. We have 5 cats now, and 6 dogs, 3 1/2 of them cavaliers, and a couple of the cats like to sleep with the cavaliers and they all get along fine. I've had cavaliers in the past that really liked licking clean the inside of the cats' ears, too :wut: . I had foster kittens once that all tried to suckle off one of the cavaliers too -- much to his surprise 😄. He was a good foster uncle to them and they'd all pile into his bed with him so that he was swamped in a sea of sleeping kittens.

HI and welcome -- what a lovely set of four-legged family photos. One of the reasons I originally opted for a cavalier 20 years ago was because of the breed temperament and the fact that they were supposed to be a good fit for cats and I had several cats. And they've always been a good fit! Introductions and early encounters need watchful management just as you've done. But I bet soon the cats will be curling up with Tommy Pickles :). Some cats and dogs can be more aloof, but I had my first cavalier at the same time that I'd added a kitten of similar age and they used to tear around the house playing with each other. We have 5 cats now, and 6 dogs, 3 1/2 of them cavaliers, and a couple of the cats like to sleep with the cavaliers and they all get along fine. I've had cavaliers in the past that really liked licking clean the inside of the cats' ears, too :wut: . I had foster kittens once that all tried to suckle off one of the cavaliers too -- much to his surprise 😄. He was a good foster uncle to them and they'd all pile into his bed with him so that he was swamped in a sea of sleeping kittens.
Thank you for the welcome! It is nice to hear of your experiences with the breed as well. I do think that in time at least one of the cats may curl up with Tommy. The other may be kind of aloof or set in his ways. Time will tell! Hone d yatly I can't wait to see what their relationships become like with each other and if one day I will get another Cavalier. They are just such sweethearts. Right now he's a pretty energetic sweetheart lol.

Thank you for the welcome! It is nice to hear of your experiences with the breed as well. I do think that in time at least one of the cats may curl up with Tommy. The other may be kind of aloof or set in his ways. Time will tell! Hone d yatly I can't wait to see what their relationships become like with each other and if one day I will get another Cavalier. They are just such sweethearts. Right now he's a pretty energetic sweetheart lol.
The typo in that is actually from him running across the keyboard. I think I'll leave it in there because it's actually kind of funny haha.

Back