Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice...puppy not thriving

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some advice...puppy not thriving

Hey guys. I wonder if you all can advise me on something. A friend of mine has a chihuahua/sheltie mix that had three puppies born about 8 days ago. One of them is a major runt. She borrowed my postal scale and the other two puppies weigh 14.9 ounces and 11.4 ounces. The runty guy only weighs 2.9 ounces. It stopped nursing about 3 or 4 days ago. At the instruction of a vet, my friend got a puppy bottle, syringe and puppy formula and has been feeding the little guy every 2 hours. She's been stimulating his bowels with warm cotton balls (wiping his bum). Well, he now is screaming (sound like a kitten screaming) and is clearly distressed. I called Bandit and Lizzie's breeder who said this "screaming" is typical for a puppy that isn't thriving no matter what you do and when it is close to death (she thought he'd probably be dead by morning). She said she has learned that if the puppy is very runty and the mother also rejects the puppy, it is usually futile to try to save them since every time she has tried, there has been some medical reason that the puppy wasn't thriving. She told me a couple of heartbreaking cases where she basically willed a puppy to live by using extraordinary means, yet had to put them down weeks, even months later because they were suffering.

My friend with the puppies has asked me if she ought to try to continue to feed him until nature takes it's course or should she go ahead and take him to the emergency vet (45 minutes away) since it is Saturday night and have him euthanized. She wondered if he is suffering badly and didn't want to leave him like that if he is.
    What do you all think? What would you do?

Post Thanks / Like

Poor little thing! I'd take him to the vet - see if they can help him and if not I wouldn't want to watch the little puppy suffer!

Jen and Ilsa
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"
    Mahatma Gandhi

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. WHen she took him to the vet a few days ago, that is when they told her what to do about feeding him. THey didn't find anything wrong with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Dogs have extremely strong instincts, and sometimes, a really small runt, like the one mentioned could have a birth defect and we just don't know what happened so it didn't develop. It would be different if it was a very large litter and it just wasn't getting fed enough, but that isn't the case. Most likely the momma knows something is wrong and realizes that it is futile to try to keep it alive. I'm really sorry to say this, but it is probably best to trust momma's instincts because the poor baby is just to small and probably isn't developed 100% internally like it should be.

My advice would be to visit a vet, but if it was me I would make it comfortable and hope that it goes to the bridge sooner than later.

Edit: I hope everything goes turns out well!
    Last edited by kmatt; 19th April 2009 at 02:48 AM. Reason: didn't see your new post Brotymo

Post Thanks / Like

I would be getting an emergency vet appointment for the wee thing,or even call her vet for advice.
    Just in case the puppy can be saved.
    Keep us updated.... x
    Leesa
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Lucie (Blenhiem) 8th Feb 2006
    Sasha(blk n tan) 19th May 2008

Post Thanks / Like

First off I don't breed so have never tried this but always kept the information as it can be successful and if all else is failing, worth trying. Pasted here just as I copied it ........

Fading Puppy or Weak Puppy: Beef Liver Remedy
    Recipe for fading or weak puppy...from what Ive been told it is a true life saver!! Thought this worth passing on...print and kept for safe keeping!

Beef Liver Remedy For Fading Puppies

Large piece of Beef Liver - boil slowly in a small amount of water (5 minutes or
    until the blood comes out).

Let cool-drain the liquid ONLY; 4 drops into a dropper and feed the weak puppy.

First dosage every 2 hours for 12 hours, then every 4 hours. Continue for however long needed until the puppy is thriving on its own.

Don't feed or use the liver itself, it is far too rich; use only the liquid

hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Any news Brotymo? i hope he's ok poor little lamb. i know they do say if the mother even rejects the pup theres something wrong with it but its soo hard. i hope the vet can help make the right decision

Post Thanks / Like

I have faced this with a cavalier puppy I bred and if I am honest , I let myself be "swayed" by the Vet who suggested I keep feeding the puppy. It is our instinct to try and save life but a little voice in me said this would not end well. He was only 7 ozs at 3 weeks. Yes he did live he ended up a delightful dwarf with every fault you could name. Around a year he began with fits and after trying everything we put our "little Eli" to sleep at 2.5 yrs old.
    It was hard and I wish I had been braver in the beginning , he was a delight but he had some issues that he should never have had to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry your friend is going through this. Ideally she needs a vet, an experienced mentor, and a breeder forum in that sequence, to help advise her. We don't for the most part have the level of experience she needs right now.

Our vet has a specialized nurse who will care for newborn pups 24/7; do you know if there is a similar service in her vicinity?
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

What about contacting a rescue centre, sometimes you need advice, quick and accurate, no room for guess work, and from someone whos had exerienced with sick pups, sometime a breeder can be more experience because they have actually nursed sick puppies before. Like wise resue centres prob have had sick puppies left at their door. Worth a phone call. di
    What's the difference between a new husband and a new dog? After a year, the dog is still excited to see you.