PDA

View Full Version : Licking humans

PseudoTwins
24th August 2007, 01:20 AM
Laci and Reggie are getting close to 5 months old (they are so dang cute!) Laci is such a licker. As much as I love her kissing me, she gets so excited, she won't stop. I'm just worried about other people.:yuk: I'm sure they don't enjoy it as much as I do! :luv: She even loves to lick my husbands toes and my arms when I'm holding her, etc, etc, etc. And if I continue to let her lick me, I feel it's telling her that's alright.
Does anyone have any suggestions on getting her to stop?

sallymum
24th August 2007, 01:43 AM
Sorry no i cant help. my Sally is the same, also Trix who i fostered he would sit all night if he could and lick me to death. :D

Cathy T
24th August 2007, 01:57 AM
I let my guys kiss me, then say "no more kisses" and put them into a lay down. When guests come I tell them to say "no more kisses" and both dogs will immediately stop. But......if they aren't ready to stop, they will stop and just stare at you with these big pleading eyes :rolleyes:

Linda'nQuincy
24th August 2007, 05:52 AM
Mr. Quincy is a major kisser/licker as well. I just have to distract him when we don't want him to do it any more. I do enjoy waking up in the morning to a soft little kiss, and to look up and see those beautiful big eyes staring at me.............

casshon
24th August 2007, 09:34 AM
Bella is an obsessive licker. She will lick any exposed skin and if there's no skin she will lick your clothes :neutral:. I say "No licks" but she doesn't always obey :rolleyes:

*Pauline*
24th August 2007, 09:55 AM
But......if they aren't ready to stop, they will stop and just stare at you with these big pleading eyes :rolleyes:

:lol: How cute is that!

coconut
24th August 2007, 10:01 AM
Holly does this as well and "no licks" only works sometimes!

Lynn
24th August 2007, 12:49 PM
I really like Cathy T's advice and will try that here myself!!! Molly is a big time kisser, and I don't want her to stop completely, but it would be nice to be able to tell her 'enough'.

By the way, my sister in law lives in SLC area (Heber) and works in Park City....spends a lot of time in SLC....I am SURE that if she ever saw you out with Laci & Reggie she'd stop & say hello & tell you about her "niece & nephew dogs" (My two...Molly & Max) She loves my two so much that she even bought them a birthday gift for their birthdays a few weeks back.....lol.....anyway... just an off topic side note. :D

loveisokay
24th August 2007, 01:41 PM
I think I have an odd one! Mine doesn't like kisses.

Cathryn
24th August 2007, 01:58 PM
Some of mine kiss and some of them don't! Logan, my stud dog doesn't very often, if he hasn't seen me for a while, like when I went into hospital back in November for an op, when I got home he dashed over and gave me quick kiss then scurried off looking VERY embarrased :lol:

Barbara Nixon
24th August 2007, 02:10 PM
All mine do long slow licks on feet , legs and arms and I love it. Teddy also does quick flicky face licks, that I'm not so keen on, but they are a good mood tester. If I think he may be grumpy, I say ''Kissy, kissy'' and if he does he just looks grumpy.

PseudoTwins
24th August 2007, 03:41 PM
All of the above :D ! Cathy T, I started the "no more kisses" and it WORKS! :rah: :jump: :wggle:

:thnku:

Cupcake Love
24th August 2007, 05:32 PM
Cupcake is a super licker also. :luv: I've finally trained her to stop when I say "thank you Cupcake no more" but it sure took awhile!

Scouty girl
24th August 2007, 08:27 PM
Scout will only lick me when I first come home. After that no kisses for me. She's so excited to see me jumping frantically, crying wanting me to bend down, which of course I do, and then the kisses. Just a few though. When she was a puppy she used to fit in the crook of my arm and she would nibble my ear. I miss those days. So Cute.

Baldyboy
25th August 2007, 03:51 PM
Baldy can be very Kissey when he's excited to see us, also if he's getting excited from fusses he starts to kiss.

angie
25th August 2007, 10:56 PM
jadan isnt one for kisses unless you get right up close and snuggle into him but he used to lick and lick at a chair in our dining room until we realised that he was doing it to get our attention as he wanted food too so we had to ignore him and now he doesnt do it for long before giving up. sunday morning kisses are special though as he isnt normally allowed upstairs :)

Nisha
26th August 2007, 07:22 AM
Mine are quite licky dogs as well...they dont do it insistently if you're just standing there...but if they get into your lap or you're rubbing their stomach they'll just non-stopping lick you to death!!!...its never been that big a deal with other people so i dont know what advice to offer...the "No more licks" command followed by the lie down sounds good though

mishmosh
26th August 2007, 08:49 PM
mine always goes for the lips and the nose. Ewwwww!!!!

My last dog was a more polite and favoured ears :)

Rj Mac
26th August 2007, 09:51 PM
Lucy is a kisser, she loves klicking your feet, hands and face ,
Megan on the other hand likes kisses but isnt bothered about them but if she sees lucy or jake giving you a kiss then she will come over and give you one!
Jake would just lick you to death!!!!:D :D

shippers
26th August 2007, 09:56 PM
Sally is a licker and kisser too! It can be embarrassing when anyone visits and she licks them. Some people find it disgusting. Sally loves to lick legs with body lotion or shower gel scents on! She also likes to lick armpits for the taste of deodrant! We have to stop her immediately so she doesn't ingest the chemicals. She stops most of the time if we say 'no more kisses'. Why do they do this?!

Baldyboy
27th August 2007, 11:57 AM
Well we woke up this morning with Baldrick laying stretched out between us, when I woke up and fussed him lots of kisses were forthcoming!

OlliePupInNYC
17th October 2007, 01:44 AM
Oliver is addicted to kissing as well....for him it is ears and toes specific. Right away I started telling him "No kisses!" when I wanted him to stop and now he kisses until told not to.....then he snuggles into you and rolls on his back and waves his paws (we finally figured out, once he started doing it in front of his food bowl that that means "please") :)

goldcountryrose
17th October 2007, 05:18 AM
Oh, man, am I going to be in trouble.

I absolutely CANNOT STAND being licked by dogs. Even thinking about it makes my skin crawl. It seems that it has more to do with something wet touching my skin than it does anything like germs, but even with than explaination, just EWWWW I cringe at the thought of it. (Ummm, I also cannot stand being "licked" by humans, like a male friend...tongue...ear...neck...ewwwwwwwwww!!!!!) Geeze, I think there is a problem here.

Anyway, My Toby has never ever even tried to lick me. He sniffs me, which also makes me crazy. He loves to sniff all around my face, tickling me with his whiskers. I tolerate it for as long as I can, then I have to push him away.

Max, on the other hand, has a VERY strange licking thing. With him, it is all about lotiion of any kind or fragrence. He will try to lick me after I have put any kind of lotion on, but since I won't let him, he licks the air...a lot...like for a long time....he will lay at the foot of the bed and just lick and lick and lick.

I just want you to know that these are the same dogs that sleep with me every night, stick their butts in my face, pass gas, snore, and refuse to allow any space for me to stretch out my legs, and I don't mind one bit. I love them madly. I am NOT a bad mom, I swear. :)

Matte
17th October 2007, 01:52 PM
When I pick her up to take her downstairs in the morning (our bedroom is at the top of a ladder) I get kissed on the ear. After she does her thing out in the garden we have a morning snuggle for a few minutes, and then she invariably licks my arm until I pull it away and wipe it like I'm drying it. She always stops after I've dried my arm.

When she's feeling playful, she licks almost aggressively, repeatedly jumping up into my face (if I'm sitting on the floor) and going for my ears--sometimes I have to stand up because she's a little too eager. That's actually a bit annoying--she gets that certain wild look in her eyes when she's like that.

Today, after I made myself bacon for lunch, she kissed my hand. My fingers, actually. I didn't take it as affection (well, maybe it was affection for organic bacon).;)

Celticharmony
17th October 2007, 02:10 PM
Yes this sounds very familiar!! Max does lick, but is more into rubbing his face vigorously against ours and making loud affectionate noises at the same time!!! He sits himself on my chest, then lies down with paws around my neck and then this affectionate behaviour goes on for a good ten minutes.

sins
17th October 2007, 02:25 PM
I try to stop my cavalier from licking people, especially the kids.......
I'm a microbiologist and have a problem with a dog licking it's posterior and then licking my kid's faces..no thanks,no matter how cute she is, she's still a dog and although she's allowed on the bed and couch for cuddles, licking is off the menu.
Sins

jcj528
17th October 2007, 02:39 PM
Zena isn't much of a kisser. She will dain to give you a little peck or two in the morning, during "morning snuggles." But afer that forget it. I think it comes from being a "kennel" dog for so long. Now Ziggy, on the other hand, would drown you in his wet, sloppy kisses if you'd let him. That boy just lives to find new ways to express his boundless affection on me! Good thing I never tire of it.

Oh and I figure the germ thing probably works out pretty evenly. I bring home pathogens from the medical school to him and he brings me what ever he's been in. That which has not yet killed us, has probably strengthened each of us. I hope

Celticharmony
18th October 2007, 09:25 PM
Can well appreciate this, but to be totally honest my Cavalier has never ever paid attention to his nether regions. My famale Lab always cleaned herself in this way however, but then she never went in for licking.

Melissa
18th October 2007, 10:15 PM
My parent's springs when they were little always went for noses... I think I have a picture somewhere my nose in the dogs mouth.

My Maverick isn't too much for licking but loves to cuddle. The only place he likes to lick is my back when I'm not watching. I got a horrible suprise the other day when I was cleaning the chinchilla cage with lowrise pants on... yep the top of my butt crack... i was shocked!

Gingers Mommy
18th October 2007, 11:10 PM
We have a little routine going on in our house....
My husband comes home after me and im usually sitting on the couch and ginger is napping...he'll come through the door and i'll say to Ginger "wheres daddy" she'll run over to him, he'll bend over and she'll start licking his face. Then he'll come to sit down, and her butt goes on his belly, her paws on each shoulder and its LICK FEST!
I dont mind kisses, but I dont want her doing that to me! It seems she knows because she simply does not do that to me. However it is cute when I say to her 'Ginger I Love You', and she licks me! Also she'll lick us when we say 'Ginger Kisses'. Im going to try the No More Kisses thing tonight and see what happens!